Sunday, May 3, 2009

A little under the weather...


I found out on Friday that I had strep throat. I don't think I've ever had it. While it wasn't the worst sore throat I've ever had, it wasn't fun. Luckily my schedule wasn't too bad and I was able to lay on the couch all day Friday and 1/2 day on Saturday. It was good to get some rest. I honestly think it's the first sick day I've taken in a year. Tatum was with Nettie to avoid being around me and catching anything. Anne and Tinsley kept their distance. Saturday night I went to bed early while my wife was out tearing up the town... She got home late and on her way upstairs heard Tatum crying and went in to find that she had thrown up. She brought Tatum in and we all slept together. Anne got about an hour of sleep Saturday night....I was not much help as I was back to feeling cruddy so needed my rest. Sunday morning I woke up feeling well and Tatum seemed to be doing great too. I took Tatum and TinTin to Kay's house to eat breakfast w/ her and Papa. She seemed a little "not herself" while we were there and for about the first time ever said "I sick, I go night night." It broke my heart to hear her say that. I called White Glove House Call Health...pathetic plug here....but folks, if you don't have that service...GET IT! $85/month for your entire family and they'll send a Doctor to your house 7 days a week from 8am to 8pm. I called them at 12:15 and they were at the house by 1:00. They treat us just like family and it's awesome. "Dr. Ann" as Tatum called her was so great.  Tatum was so excited to show off the back of her throat and stick our her tongue! She even got to listen to her heart and Dr. Ann's too! I got a couple of cute pics of her...





All is well and luckily Anne and Tinsley seem to have escaped the need for meds. We are totally bummed because Reese invited Tatum out to her ranch to play in the river and do all kinds of fun stuff and we've been talking about it for several days. Trying to be mindful of the other kiddo's health, I decided it's probably not a good idea. I'm growing up...normally I would only have regard for my kid's health...as a learning parent I'm starting to appreciate others thinking of us and am returning that favor. Pay it forward folks.

Tonight Tatum ate a little bit but finally she pointed through the entire pantry to get to this...what a poor sick child REALLY needs to get themselves feeling better. Proof that Tatum does have Shiflet blood running through her...



After she consumed 1/2 the can of frosting she needed a bit of a nap. I think she went beyond the sugar high and straight in to a sugar coma. She told me "I cold" and asked for blankets. I put them over her and something just came over me and I asked her if she wanted to be tucked in. I just had this awesome memory come back at that moment...my Dad used to tuck me in some nights. I always remember the feeling of his big hands pushing those sheets and blankets under me and making me feel snug as a bug. I always loved that. I never wanted to move so the covers would stay nice and tight and keep me more warm. I tucked Tatum in on the couch and she laid there motionless for several minutes. I guess there's something about a good "tuck" that just puts you at peace.


Well...here's to a week of better health and hope for another ranch invite (Shelly!). Oh yea! Tatum's Ballet Recital is coming up...it's going to be a riot. I went to see the dress rehearsal last week and haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Here's a few pics to give you a preview of what's to come. Mark your calendars...Anne has invited everyone we know. They moved the performance from a State School to the Westlake Fine Arts Facility...no doubt as a result of the droves of people we're bringing.





I had to add this picture last minute...this was Tatum in the hot tub with her crazy "uncles"...

Uncle Ted, Uncle Wiggles, Uncle Bubbles, Uncle Jordan and Uncle Kyle


2 comments:

Shelly said...

Aww, poor Tatum! And poor Daddy! We'll definitely do another ranch playdate, and soon. Email me and let me know your summer plans--we're doing a little summer camp in June (only T/Th) but are pretty open otherwise. We're still trying to figure out our plans the w/end of T's recital but I will let you know if we're in town and can make it. Her costume is beautiful! We tried to get R in some lessons at Alisas this summer but no luck...

Cord Shiflet said...

I just realized there's a picture of Tatum getting her Doctor visit and then a picture of her devouring a can of icing. I wonder if the 2 are related? live and learn...