Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Swimsational Weekend

Happy Labor Day...I hope you all had a good weekend and didn't get too hot or didn't get blown away by the hurricane.  Anne is still waiting on the baby to announce his/her arrival!  She thought yesterday (Sunday) was the day and the whole family stood ready to pounce.  I've finally packed a separate bag and dop kit as I've grown tired of constantly having to run to my car to find my toothbrush.  She was having contractions yesterday that got as close as every 5 minutes but they never lasted more than an hour so we just sat and waited.  The Doctor said "most likely a baby this week" and he has until Wed to prove good on his word.  We will see.  I think I said this in my last blog but I'm too lazy to go back and re-read it...but we're both finally totally ready.  All our "must do's" have been done and we're now just coming up with housekeeping projects to pass the time.  Tatum says she's excited and has yet to veer from her "boy" every time we ask her what's coming.  I can't wait for her to meet her little brother or sister.  

I haven't taken many pics this week because everything is packed in the car ready to capture the new baby.  I did get these 2 but they aren't too good...



This week was a lot of fun and some great playdates for Tatum and some fun lunches with me and other "Moms."  I have really enjoyed taking such a big part of Tatum's day to day life.  And I must say, I'm always very happy and appreciative to see a Grandma walk through and give me some relief!  Tatum wears me out and my hours (it's now 2:20am) I'm sure don't help the cause.

The coolest thing of the week was Tatum's swimming lessons.  We had a teacher at the house to teach Tatum Monday-Friday for 20 minutes a day.  Tatum would cry almost the entire time and her progress from day to day was absolutely remarkable.  I cannot believe that a week ago our little girl could only splash in the kiddie pool and 5 days later she can swim all by herself!  Here's a video I took of her doing it earlier today...


She doesn't want to get out of the water.  She's constantly pointing to different places in the pool she wants to swim and smiling and so proud of herself after each little session.  I wear otu before she does and I'm not even swimming.  We're continuing with the lessons until it gets too cold to swim...but the progress in just one week is awesome.  

Anne's mother has pretty much moved in and is on standby to help us when it's time to go to this hospital.  Having her here has been great and she's really helping us clean out some closets and fix a bunch of nagging things all across the house.  Instead of paying a dishwasher repair guy $200 to fix the thing, Pam does it for a $1.60 Burger King hamburger...AWESOME.  So far we've cleaned out almost every closet in the house, rearranged the storage unit in the garage, put dimmers in the cabana, breakfast and dining room and at the rate we're going I imagine she'll have the roof redone and house repainted by the weeks end.  

Speaking of upgrades, I owe my father a major "thank you"...he's going to supply us with cabana appliances!  We spent all our money on the garage, pool and landscaping and ran out on the finishing touches.  I've been waiting for a little windfall before I put them in and Dad came over to watch Tatum swim and said he was going to give them to us as a gift!  I'm so excited.  I told him we'd name the Cabana after him in honor of his underwriting the appliances.  I cant' wait to fire up a new grill...hopefully within a week or so we'll have that here and installed.  THANK YOU DAD!  

Well...I'm sure there's more to say but I don't want to bore you.  We've got Tatum starting back to school tomorrow and she's excited to go back and see her friends.  She really loves her preschool program and seems to learn a lot there.  Thursday night we're having an event at our house for Girlstart, a non-profit that encourages girls to excel in sciences and technologies.  Obviously Tatum is way young for this but it seems to be a great cause and especially considering the age we live in and more specifically the town we live in, I think it will be good.  We've having a "Dads and Daughters" event at our house and I'm anxious to roll up my sleeves and get more involved in their program.

Oh yea...great news....I got to see a good friend today for the first time in several months since he's been going through some medical help.  He looked amazing.  Honestly the best I've seen him look since I met him probably 7 or 8 years ago.  We both have daughters that are the same age and love to play together.  He is home for a week and we're going to try and do a few fun "Dad's" things this week...I'm pulling for a Zilker Park train ride now that Tatum knows the word "choo choo."  Anyway...I just wanted to give a big congratulations to him and to encourage him to keep living the good life and to let him know he's got a lot of support around him.  Congrats to you my friend!!   I'm really proud of you and the choices you're making.  You have a lot to live for and I'm glad to see you living a healthier life.  

Maybe we'll have a "mid week entry" here if the baby comes!  Otherwise I'll update you on Sunday night.


No comments: